Apple Almond Cake
Apple Almond Cake
Recipe type: Desserts
- 1 can (1 pound) almond-flavored Passover macaroons, Meringues
- 1 cup toasted ground almonds
- ¼ pound unsalted margarine, melted
- 8 tart apples
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup golden raisins, plumped in sweet Passover wine or apple juice
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) Passover preserves (cherry, raspberry, or strawberry)
- Toasted sliced almond, for garnish
- Fresh berries for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Break up the macaroons into small pieces. Place them on baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer toasted macaroons to a processor or blender and process until fine crumbs. Add almonds and margarine and blend until mixture comes together well. Generously oil an 8-inch spring form pan. Remove 2 cups of the macaroon mixture and press into the bottom of the pan.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples and place them in a saucepan with the sugar and lemon juice. Mix well. Cook over low heat until the juices appear and the apples soften, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly. In a processor, chop the apples fine, but do not purée. Add the raisins and toss. Set aside.
- Place half of the apple mixture on top of the crumb mixture. Spoon the preserves into a bowl and mix well. Spread half the preserves over the apple mixture. Add the remaining apple mixture and the remaining preserves. Sprinkle with the remaining macaroon mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, then cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours, or overnight. Just before serving, remove the cake from the pan, place it on a platter, and garnish with toasted almonds, dollops of preserves, and fresh berries.