- ½ cup uncooked white quinoa
- ½ cup uncooked red quinoa
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups water or chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Measure 1 cup of quinoa and place into a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse thoroughly with cool water for about 2 minutes. Rub and swish the quinoa with your hand while rinsing. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in the saucepan over medium-high heat. Sautee onion, garlic and red pepper for 5 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add the drained quinoa. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute to toast the quinoa and combine it with the flavors of the onion and peppers. Stir in 2 cups of water or broth and the salt. Bring to a rolling boil. Turn heat down to the lowest setting. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and let stand for 5 more minutes, covered. If any liquid remains in the bottom of the pan or if the quinoa is still a bit crunchy, return the pot to low heat and cook, covered, for another 5 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed.
- Spray the sides and bottom a small spring form bunt pan with oil and press the quinoa hard into the mold. When ready to serve, turn the pan upside down onto a serving platter and remove the sides of the pan.
Recipe by Orly Gottesman, BlendsByOrly.com
Orly Gottesman discovered her passion for baking while living in Paris. She apprenticed for a French pastry chef at a patisserie in the 5th Arrondissement. Orly received her formal training at Le Cordon Bleu in Sydney, Australia. She pioneered an independent study on gluten free product development and her research was published in the student curriculum. She was then hired to develop a line of gluten free favorite pastries and breads under the brand “Orly the Baker” for Chompies, an iconic restaurant chain in Phoenix, Arizona. Orly spent over three years developing and perfecting a range of gluten free flour blends and recipes. Her innovation is motivated by her culinary discoveries during her travels around the globe.
Orly’s mission is to allow people on a gluten free diet to make any recipe without sacrificing taste, texture and quality. Blends by Orly, her line of five uniquely formulated gluten-free flours has been received with enthusiasm as a long-sought solution for the gluten-free consumer. Her drive to make delicious gluten free products is inspired by her husband, a wold class foodie, who was diagnosed with celiac disease. Orly has a B.S from NYU and is a trained vocalist and pianist.